It’s no secret that disposable shopping bags are everywhere. From department stores to gas stations, we as consumers can count on receiving anywhere from 1-3 shopping per purchase. In most places in America, stores give away these bags for free and seemingly don’t give a second thought to where they end up after use.
Well, let’s think for a second...where do all those plastic bags go after we finish using them (and usually only 1 time)?
Are you surprised? The average American goes through six shopping bags per week. With a population of roughly 323 million, that means almost 2 billion bags are used and discarded in America every week!
As you can see, all of that trash adds up. That’s why we at Gallant have compiled 5 facts about plastic bags and conventional cotton that we think are good reasons for you to pick up a reusable organic cotton bag. We hope that in doing so, you can make the next bag you throw out your last.
5 Reasons to Use Organic Cotton Bags:
1. The Environment: A plastic bag can take from 15 to 1,000 years to break down...and paper bags don’t do much better. As a completely natural fiber grown in the fields, Gallant organic cotton bags are completely biodegradable, giving them an amazing advantage over many other synthetic materials. This means we do not have to worry about cotton filling up landfill. Plus, our bags are fashionable so you’ll want to keep using them for all of your purchases!
2. The Planet: Conventional cotton is the most pesticide-dependent crop in the world, accounting for 25% of all pesticide use. According to the USDA, every year over 50 million pounds of pesticides are used on U.S. cotton fields. Pesticide and fertilizer use on cotton has been linked to ground and surface water contamination, and the pollution of drinking water. In California, cotton ranks third in the state for total number of pesticide-related illness. So much damage to land, animals and humans that grow it is caused by the release of dangerous toxins from nasty things that are biodegrading – organic cotton does not do that.
3. Our conscience: The cost to recycle plastic bags outweighs their value, so most recycling facilities will not take them. Instead of being recycled, they are thrown out with the rest of the trash. I know I have tried to recycle plastic bags so that I feel better about using them once and then throwing them away, but unfortunately not everything that is put in the recycling bin gets recycled. Organic cotton is completely reusable, can be recycled into things like paper, new clothing products and and even feed for mushrooms! Organic cotton bags also make great gifts and donations to thrift stores.
4. People: Today’s global fashion industry employs over 60 million people - most of which work in unsafe factory and environmental conditions while receiving extremely poor wages. The fashion industry is the world's second-largest polluter, just behind the oil industry. At Gallant, we ensure that employment is freely chosen, working conditions are safe and hygienic,our artisans are paid living wages, and child labor is forbidden. Our Organic cotton bags are made of GOTS certified organic cotton. When you purchase one of our organic cotton bags versus a bag from somewhere else, you are investing in water conservation, cleaner air, better soil and farmer livelihoods. If you are concerned with the welfare of others, using organic fabrics has a major positive impact on your health and the health of our planet.
5. Most importantly... Style: Organic Cotton bags are versatile, durable, easy to accessorize, and a great fashion accessory! The next time you are out shopping, make sure you remember to bring a Gallant Organic Cotton bag with you so you can help the planet, its people, and your wardrobe!